Thursday, 12 March 2015

Rainforest Science Blogpost #2

How did you develop your skills as a scientist over the course of the rainforest project field work? What examples do you have to prove this?

I have developed my observation skills big time, because we have to go and look for differences in the rainforest, and interesting things plant or animals might be doing. For example, four days ago, Morgan and I found a nest of baby spiders that we hadn’t seen before, simply by keeping an eye out for unusual things. Our documentary skills have also improved because we are supposed to take notes on various plants and animals for our Project Noah spotting, like the Beehive Ginger above. Those are the two main skills we have improved upon.

What were the strength and challenges that you faced while conducting field work? Describe one strength and explain why it was a particularly strong element in your research. Describe one challenge you had while completing your research and explain how you problem solved.

One of my main strengths was ignoring parts of the rain forest and focusing only on one part. It was particularly strong because I find it easy to block out other noise and sounds if I only want to focus on one part. I was immune to the distractions of the rainforest while I was studying the fig tree.

A challenge I faced was time. There was never enough of it, and I haven’t solved that problem. I am still trying to find the time to complete the field research I want to do

What advice do you have for future researchers of the SAS rainforest, and what do you think they should investigate in the future?


I advise you to enjoy the rainforest as much as you can. As Mrs. Fox will no-doubt tell you, our school is one of three in the entire world to house a rainforest, and ours is by far the biggest, so make the most of your time in there. You may not get a lot. If you have a chance, investigate the fig tree, because the animals flock to figs. Especially do this if you want to see birds. Find out what’s eating the figs somehow, and send me an email.

Sorry, but I am having trouble finding the pictures for my project Noah. I will post them as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment