Thursday, 14 August 2014

The Best Young Scientist Award Nominee Invention

I think that the 17 year old Cynthia Sin Naga Lam of Australia deserves to win the young scientist award. Using very advanced physics for 7th grade, she managed to produce a portable filter, called H2PRO that not only filters wastewater, but also captures hydrogen. When hydrogen is combined with oxygen to create a chemical reaction that converts the heat from that reaction into electricity. The filter also uses the pollution in the water to enhance production of hydrogen, and speeds up the process with photocatalysis (the acceleration of a chemical reaction through light).

https://www.googlesciencefair.com/projects/en/2014/77b0af7d78199d72bb8b7b077459fcc0c443cabde6ec353188e8c08dd551cb83


Due to the complexity of the filter, I remain unable to decipher exactly how it works. However, the results were partly satisfactory. The water became cleanly enough to drink. The electricity on the other hand, was very unstable in production. No significant increase in voltage of the fuel cell truly happened, but this is probably due to the structure of the filter, not the theory.

Still, this is not what I am judging it by. I think that it deserves the award because of the problems it might solve. According to statistics by http://www.unwater.org, Unsafe water is the cause of 4 billion cases of diarrhoea. This results in 2.2 million deaths each day. One fourth of these deaths occurred in india. If this could be made available cheaply to the poorer regions of Africa and Southeast Asia. It would be revolutionary.

www.filter-now.com



 Another one of our biggest problems is our unstable sources of energy. If this design could be tweaked to make the hydrogen ideas work, this could also show great promise. Global warming would be significantly reduced because the sun is supplying that hydrogen, and it could create a stable energy system. These are the reasons I believe this young scientist deserves the young scientist award.



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blogpost because you followed all the guidelines, and you clearly explained everything. I also thought that her inventions was pretty cool because it can help the people in developing countries get free water. I think that you did a really good job. Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete